Our Help Center is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm ET.
Building a sustainable future
You may see the Green premium logo on many of our products for your home. The green premium program stands for our commitment to deliver customer valued sustainable performance. These include eco-designed products, helping to protect people from chemical substances risk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Wiser Energy compatible with my home?
To ensure you have the best experience with Wiser Energy, the following compatibility specifications are recommended:
Your home has:
- A consistent 2.4Ghz WiFi connection. Wiser Energy is not compatible with 5Ghz WiFi signals.
- Its own electrical meter and accessible electrical panel.
Your mobile device runs on iOS or Android and has Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.
Your electrical panel:
- Is a split-phase 120/240V residential panel up to 200A.
- Must have enough space to fit sensor clamps with HxWxD dimensions of 3.375" x 2" x .75" (85.73 x 50.8 x 19.05mm), and an inside diameter of 1”. The Wiser Energy current sensors may not be able to fit around busbars.
- Should be within cable length of Sensor cables (46" (116.84cm) and power cable (36" (91.44cm) ).
- Does not drop below 32°F (0°C) or exceed 122°F (50°C). Is not exposed to water or areas with high condensation (Sense complies with ANSI/IEC 60529 Rated IPx0).
The following Square D electrical panels are known to be incompatible as a result of the current sensors not fitting around the bus bars:
QC12L200C QC2442M200C QC816F125C QC816F150C QC816F200C RC12L200C RC1624M100S RC1624M125S RC2040M125CH RC2040M150CH RC2040M200C RC2040M200CH RC816D200CH RC816F100CH RC816F125CH RC816150CH RC816F200C RC816F200CH SC1624M100F SC1624M100S SC1624M125F SC1624M125S SC2040M125F SC2040M125S SC2040M200F SC3040M200F SC3040M225F SC816D150C SC816D200C SC816D200F SC8L125F SU2040M200C SU3040M200R SU2040M225R SU816D150C SU816D200C SC2040M200C SO2040M200S
Will Wiser Energy work with my solar panels?
Most likely! Your incoming solar feed can connect directly into your main electrical panel, either through a breaker or a service-side tap.
If solar is set up in a subpanel, the incoming solar feed should be within 46" of the main panel as this will allow the provided current sensor cables to reach and connect to the Wiser Energy monitor in the main electrical panel.
If it is further than 46", extension cables are available in lengths of:
Length (Feet) Part Number 4 WISEREMCTEXT4 12 WISEREMCTEXT12 25 WISEREMCTEXT25 40 WISEREMCTEXT40
These extensions can be combined to achieve larger lengths, but the maximum length can be no more than 300'.
How does Wiser Energy work?
With just two clamp-on current sensors, the Wiser Energy Monitor takes current and voltage measurements over 1 million times every second.
From this incredibly high-resolution data, it derives the electrical signatures of individual devices. In comparison, most "high resolution" smart meters only take measurements every couple of seconds... hardly real time!
Within the first week of installation, Wiser Energy should be able to find some common devices that cycle on and off frequently, like your refrigerator or microwave. Some devices will take longer to identify, until the algorithms have seen enough contextual data to reliably detect them.
There are devices that Wiser Energy won't be able to recognize right away, but as more Wiser Energy Monitors are installed across the US and Canada, the machine learning algorithms will have more data to generate models from, and the device detection capabilities will just keep growing!
Can Wiser Energy detect all devices?
Not everything. We're able to identify many electrical devices in typical homes and continue to expand our device detection abilities. As we examine data from more homes, the performance and coverage of our device detection will improve.
Is Wiser Energy suitable for indoor or outdoor installations?
The Wiser Energy monitor is intended to be installed inside new or existing Type 1 (Indoor) or Type 3R (Outdoor) 240V/120V Split-phase electrical panels.
The monitor itself is IPx0 rated and should be kept in a temperature range between 32°F (0°C) and 122°F (50°C).
Does Wiser Energy charge a subscription fee?
No. There is only a one-time cost for the Wiser Energy monitor. Use of the Sense Square D edition mobile and web apps is included. New features and enhancements are free via app updates and over-the-air software upgrades.
How does Wiser Energy keep my data secure?
We take security very seriously and we do everything we can to ensure data is secure. All communications between the Wiser Energy monitor, the cloud servers, and Wiser Energy apps are encrypted with AES 128-bit encryption and TLS/SSL (HTTPS).
Wiser Energy uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) for cloud servers and online storage. Personally identifiable information like email address and account information is stored in physically separate systems from any application data.
Physical security is managed by Amazon and access to these production systems is limited to a very small group of engineering team members.
Automated systems process the data collected from Wiser Energy monitors to detect devices, send notifications, generate report emails, and power the Wiser Energy apps.
This data is never shared with 3rd parties without explicit user opt-in on a case-by-case basis (for example, when a utility wishes to provide discounts/services to their customers in exchange for sharing limited power data.)
Support employees will on occasion need to access some of this data to troubleshoot issues, but we will only access this data with explicit permission.
What certifications does Wiser Energy have?
In addition to extensive in-house testing, the Wiser Energy monitor has been tested to UL and IEC standards for safety, and certified by ETL/Intertek as safe to install in your home. Intertek is a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) and the ETL mark is functionally equivalent to the UL mark.
Wiser Energy, when properly installed, also meets all requirements laid out in the 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC). This means the Wiser Energy Monitor has been through an extensive set of industry standard safety tests to ensure that it is safe to use when plugged into electrical power and safe to use inside an electrical panel.
Per section 312.8, the Wiser Energy monitor and its current transformers are listed as a system, designed for field installation in a switch enclosure.
Wiser Energy also meets FCC Class B standards for electromagnetic interference.
All electrical devices emit electrical “noise” (in fact, the electrical noise emitted by the devices in your home is one of the things Wiser Energy uses to identify them!) — and the FCC has a strict set of limits and requires extensive testing to make sure they are not exceeded.
Wiser Energy has passed those tests and should not cause interference with other devices in your home.
- Certified to CSA STD C22.2 No. 61010-1
- Conforms to UL STD 61010-1
- Conforms to UL STD 61010-2-032
- Conforms to CAN ICES-3(B)/NMB-3(B)
- Conforms to CISPR 32
- Conforms to CISPR 35
Does Wiser Energy integrate with other smart home devices?
While other smart home devices are not required to use Wiser Energy in your home, they can certainly add to your experience! We currently have an IFTTT applet that allows you to connect with other devices in your home as well as skills for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Phillips Hue, TP-Link KASA 110, TP-Link KASA HS300 (TP-Link Smart Power Strip) and Wemo Insight Smartplugs integrations are also live and the list will continue to grow!
What types of inverters, batteries, generators and electric vehicles (EVs) will integrate with the Square D™ Energy Center?
Square D™ Energy Center Universal can be used with any certified inverter, battery, generator or EV. Square D Energy Center Essential integrates only with SolarEdge’s inverter and SolarEdge’s list of compatible batteries, generators and EVs. For the complete list of SolarEdge's compatible equipment, please visit
What generators are compatible with Square D™ Energy Center?
Any portable generator up to 50 A can be connected to Square D™ Energy Center via a manual interlock kit (QO2DTEC) and a suitable inlet port. Up to 22 kW are supported, which require closed contact run command. For more information, see the compatibility table here:
When the grid goes down, will I still have power with Square D™ Energy Center?
Square D™ Energy Center is designed to work with distributed energy resources (solar, battery and generator). In order to maintain power during a grid outage, you must have either a battery or generator installed as well.
Can you modify the wires of the Square D™ Energy Center to switch from partial- to whole-home backup?
A compatible hold-down bracket is included with Square D™ Energy Center. If you lose the bracket that is supplied with the kit, the Hold-down Bracket Kit (QOCRBGK2EC) works with the Manual Transfer Equipment Kit (QO2DTEC).
What type of internet connection do I need when commissioning the Wiser Energy™ monitor?
To commission the Wiser Energy™ monitor inside Square D™ Energy Center, download the Sense app on a mobile device and connect to Square D™ Energy Center via WiFi.
Can you add a feed-through lug kit?
No, Square D™ Energy Center does not support a feed-through lug kit.
Where can I get help if I have installation questions or issues?
You can call the customer care center at 888-778-2733 or check out the Square D™ Energy Center instruction bulletin for help with installation questions:
Do I need an internet connection to commission the system?
Yes. To commission the Wiser Energy™monitor inside Square D™ Energy Center, you just need to download the Square D edition of the Sense app on a mobile device and be connected to WiFi.
Can I add solar to the bottom section of the Square D™ Energy Center's bus?
Yes, Square D™ Energy Center's unique split bus design allows you to add an additional 120 A to the bottom section of the bus, providing a potential maximum total solar/AC battery backfeed of 240 A (45.6 kW). Your installer will need to check with the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) and your utility company for the maximum interconnection agreement.
Where is the ground/neutral bond on the Square D™ Energy Center panel?
Square D™ Energy Center provides service entrance only, so there is no removable bond.
What colors are Square D™ Wiring Devices offered in?
The Square D™ X Series is offered in White, Light Almond, Black and Gray. The XD Series is offered in White, Black, Brushed Nickel and Bronze. All devices have a matte, non-glossy finish.
What is the warranty period for Square D™ Wiring Devices?Square D™ Wiring Devices are all warrantied for 2 years from time of installation.
Which receptacles are child proof/tamper resistant?
All Square D receptacles and outlets are tamper resistant.
Is there a limit to the number of Square D™ Wi-Fi devices that can be installed on a home network?
The largest real world limitation on the number of devices is the quality of the home Wi-Fi network. Typically, 20 Wi-Fi devices can be installed at any one time.
Do Square D™ Wi-Fi switches, dimmers and receptacles require a neutral wire to function?Yes. All Square D™ Wi-Fi wiring devices require a neutral wire, except for the Plug-In Outlet.
If guests use my Wi-Fi, can they control my lights?Only if you have given them access to your Wiser Home account, or a connected Alexa or Google Assistant account.
How do I add a Wi-Fi device to my system?
Download the Wiser Home app to add Wi-Fi lighting devices to your system. If there are already devices in your app, go to Settings > Devices and click + in the upper right corner to add a device.
How do I use my Wi-Fi switch or dimmer on a 3-way circuit?Both the Wi-Fi switch and dimmer are designed to connect with a standard mechanical single-pole switch where only the neutral and traveler wires are connected. This significantly reduces the cost of supporting a 3-way application.
Do you offer industrial and residential products?No. At this time, the Square D™ Wiring Device are just for residential and light commercial installations.
How do I add new devices?
• Ensure that the home network Wi-Fi is secure and operating.
• On the Wiser Home App, go to Settings and then click Devices. Click the plus button in the bottom right corner to add the device.
• Follow the instructions on the Wiser Home App to set up the device. The user will have the option to scan a QR code on the device or add the device manually. The QR code is also included on a label in the device packaging. If choosing to scan a QR code, a popup to provide access to the camera will display. If there are any firmware updates to the device while it is being setup, they will automatically download.
• After setting up the device, there will be an option to add another device or finish.
Why won't my device connect to my Wi-Fi?
• Make sure your device is configured for 2.4GHz. If this does not solve the issue, then perform a factory reset on your device or else reset the Wi-Fi Router and then try adding the device again. If the issue persists, call customer service.
• For smart plug Factory Reset: long press (T>20s) on the power button on the bottom of the plug and release after associated blinks. More information can be found here.
• For dimmer Factory Reset: long press (T>20s) on both paddles and release after associated blinks. More information can be found here.
• For switch Factory Reset: long press (T>20s) on both paddles and release after associated blinks. More information can be found here.
• For outlet Factory Reset: long press (T>20s) on the on/off power button and release after associated blinks. More information can be found here.
I removed my device from the system but want it again, do I have to start from scratch?• When a device is deleted, there is an option to save the configuration data of room, device name, and icon. Upon reconnecting the device, it will remember the data. If the option to save configuration data is NOT selected or a factory reset is later performed on the device, then the device will need the complete set up.
Where can I find the QR codes for my devices?• QR Codes are located directly on the device. The device packaging also contains a label with copies of the QR codes.
How do I add/delete a schedule?
• To Add a Schedule: Select the device for scheduling to navigate to its control screen. Select manage schedule at the bottom of the screen. Select the plus button to add the schedule. A Schedule Creator screen will display. Name the schedule, select the days to repeat, set a state, and set the start and finish times. The start and finish times can be programmed on sunrise/sunset or can be at an exact time every day. Once the schedule is set, click save.
• To Delete a Schedule: Select the device to remove the schedule from. Select Manage Schedule to populate the screen with existing schedules. Select the schedule that is being deleted. The schedule editor will display. At the bottom of the screen, select Delete Schedule. A System notification will prompt the user to confirm the deletion of the schedule. Click OK to delete the schedule and remove it from the device. Schedules are NOT recoverable.
Can I still control devices when the internet connection is down?
• Yes, if there is no connection but the user and device are still on the same network, the device can be turned on/off. Features such as creating new schedules or renaming devices cannot be supported without an internet connection.
• If the home internet is down, and the phone is on the cell network, the devices cannot be turned on/off. The device will show as offline to the app.
Can I use Wiser Home with smart homes like Google Home?• Wiser Home Devices can be controlled through Google Home and Amazon Alexa, but a smart home is not required to still use Wiser Home. It is not compatible with Apple Homekit.
How do I use my smart home to control my devices?
• To set up Google Home, go to the Google Home App and click the plus sign. Then Click Set up Device and click Works with Google. Search for Wiser Home and select it. This connects the devices and their control to Google. Google and Alexa scenes can be set up and controlled via the voice app.</p>
• To Set up Amazon Alexa, go to the Amazon Alexa App and click More. Click Skills and Games. Search for Wiser Home and select it. This connects the devices and their control to Alexa.
What location services is my app using?• The location permissions control the weather and sunrise/sunset operations. Denying location permissions reduces app functionality - the weather will not update, and a schedule cannot operate under sunrise/sunset conditions.
How do I change the Wiser Home User E-mail address?• If the user has forgotten or wants to change user e-mail addresses, contact customer support services.
How frequently is the weather updated on the app?• The weather is updated every 30 minutes.
How do I know when there is a firmware update?• Firmware is automatically applied to the devices. No user interaction is required.